Friday 29 April 2016

A Favourite Dresser

 
I am not a lover of the colour yellow but for some reason I really, really like the yellow that was used on this dresser.
In fact, I like it so much that I went out and bought a small container of paint that I hope matches this yellow to paint a dresser that I have in my basement sewing room.
 

This is my lovely little dresser. I think it is designed very similar to the one that I have fallen in love with.
Do you?
 
 
Do you see that paint swatch? I'm hoping that it is the colour match I need to copy my dream dresser. You never know about these things until you start painting. I figure if it's way too bright to my liking though I can tone it down with some white paint. EEK-I hope!
I plan, also, to add plaster of Paris to the mix to create a chalk paint effect.
Have you ever tried this? I have not. I have painted black premixed chalk on a couple of door and they turned out fine.
My sister mixes her own all the time and assures me it will work.
 



I found a recipe here that I will use unless someone else out there tells me of a better one. Oh, and feel free to offer any tips you have-please!
 
I know I've promised the sewing room photos soon.....
My excuse for not posting them already is threefold.
1) I have a scratched and stained counter top that I want to cover with contact paper before I show you the room.
2) I want to finish the dresser first.
3) I have to finish this bag order for the Yukon before I can take the time to do excuse #1 or 2.
There you have it, my bag of excuses.
 
I can't believe it is Thursday already. I don't feel like I have gotten much accomplished this week at all. I did get all of the bags cut out. I had to wait on my thread order to arrive. It showed up Tuesday. But then Tim and I went gallivanting over to Marathon yesterday and blew my hopes of getting any work done on Wednesday. But that is life.
And we do need to be spontaneous once in a while!
 
Here is hoping that you have a blessed weekend. And a sunny and warm one wouldn't be bad either.
Kim 
 
 

 

14 comments:

  1. Yellow is my favorite color, so, of course, I like this dresser. Good luck with getting it the color you want. I love the word, "gallivanting," and yes, it is good to get out and be spontaneous once in a while. Hope you have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the plan for the yellow dresser and it is the perfect one! You are accomplishing a lot more than me...I am just so lazy and unmotivated lately. Ugh. Camping weather is here so that is my focus for now. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dresser looks perfect for that project!! I have never painted anything yellow either but I think we all need to stretch our boundaries,, it will be amazing,, the chalk paint I make sounds the same as yours,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dresser is so cute! Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little gallivanting is good for the soul! Do let us know how the DIY chalk paint turns out. The yellow is a beautiful color, although I confess to having little, no, make that zero, yellow in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kimberly, I. Love the yellow dresser, I also love that sunshine Olof. Hugs Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be interested to know how the chalk paint turns out - will stay tuned!
    Gallivanting to Marathon - well, that is a first for Marathon, I'll bet - or at least the Marathon that I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to be an interesting experiment! Looking forward to the results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the yellow dresser and I think the color you chose looks very close. Can't wait to see how it turns out! I can relate to not getting projects finished. Some I've started on weeks ago and are still awaiting me to finish up. With spring's arrival, my thoughts have turned to the outside and flowers! When it rains, then my stack of unread books calls my name. :) Take care and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make my own using the unsanded grout and I like it. I've even used it outdoors and didn't wax it and it's still on! I think you will be okay with the color as the chalk effect gives you a chalky look which mutes the color a bit...ie; it takes the brightness away and you're left with just the color and no brassiness. I was just doing my entryway closet which I want to paint green (think alcove) and then I was trying to think what color for furniture and that yellow would be perfect! Love it and can't wait to see yours. Are you going to change the hardware too? You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to both of your reveals . . . I like that yellow dresser too . . .very cheerful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the dresser too. I was wondering if it's to bright of a yellow I think you could use a stain to darken it a bit..not sure if it will work with the chalk??
    Can't wait to see the reveals...
    HUgs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the dresser....can't wait to see yours!! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog...:) I am also a new follower of yours....hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How I love to galavant...haven't done it enough lately! And can't wait to see what you do with the dresser. Have fun! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

All of your comments are read and much appreciated.
You are dear and lovely friends!