Thursday 10 September 2015

Repurposed Vintage Hankie Display

 

Hello Ladies!
Today I'm bringing you my Pinterest Copycat version of a repurposed vintage hankie display.
 
source
This is the original Pinterest version of a hankie holder that I copied. I don't own as many hankies as this lady and good thing too since my spoon rack was just a small one compared to her rack.

This is what my spoon rack looked like before I painted it. I love the original wood, but for this project I felt that it needed to be painted.
 I also love the carved maple leaf pattern, so like the Canadian flag.
 

After uploading my photos I realised that I had missed displaying the only handkerchief that really has any special meaning to me. Most of the hankies were either left in the drawer of a dresser I bought or I had purchased somewhere over the years.
 

This handkerchief was one that my Dad gave to his sweetheart, my Mother, when he was serving in the Navy during WW2. I never saw this while my Mom and Dad were living. It was given to me after my SIL found it in a drawer after they had both passed.
I can easily imagine Dad wanting to send something special back to Mom to let her know how much he loved her and missed her while he was away and she was home alone trying to keep things together. She was by herself with two little children and another on the way.
 I like to think that this little satin handkerchief let Mom know that she was never far from my Dad's thoughts....
Mom was my Dad's sweetheart for seventy four years until they both passed away within three months of one another.
Now I consider that a real story of commitment and love, don't you?
I guess I've strayed a bit from my Pinterest copycat post.
Sorry, but it is a treasure I just had to share!
Blessings-Kimberly

Please visit my other blog here.

I will be partying here:
before-after-wednesday-week-6
Home Sweet Home
Simple and Sweet Fridays
What To Do Weekends
Friday Favourites
 




 



16 comments:

  1. love this

    LOVED this. Both the hankie holder and the story! What a perfect way to display such a treasure!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small little things that are left behind mean so much to us when our loved ones are gone.

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely, this Vintage hankie holder!
    Have a nice day,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I just came across my mother's spoon rack and wondered what to do with it. I have so many pretty hankies. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea...you have a lovely collection. I am still smiling about the handkerchief from your parents, and their sweet story. Seventy four years...such a blessing. Thank you for sharing, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty hankie collection and display, Kimberly, and I loved reading the wonderfully romantic story behind your dad's hankie, and the importance it had for him and his beloved sweetheart, your mom.

    Happy weekend!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the hankie collection, great look.Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Using a spoon rack is a great idea! It's one of those "why didn't I think of that" ideas, too. Your display looks nice! Loved the sweet story of the hanky your dad sent your mother. How nice to have that in your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohmygoodness...'why didn't I think of THAT"...LOL at me~ I stumbled upon a clear plastic looking handkerchief box [ square- material BEFORE PLASTIC- perhaps bakelite] and I love it but this way they are actually displayed. fab u lous~

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great way to display hankies, but the real treasure here is the story of your parents' love for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found a box of old hankies in my MIL's stuff. This looks like a great way to display hankies. I'll be looking for something similar. Thanks for the inspiration and great story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, during my loooong lifetime, I've had this room full of spoon racks and NEVER thought of anything so cute as this to use them for. Such a good idea and you did a super fine job on the copy....

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my first visit and I'm glad to find this lovely post. I have a stash of vintage hankies inherited from my grandmother that sits around in a closet.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love having pretties out where we can enjoy them. I may try something like this with the hankies I have. Great ideas! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great way to re-purpose a spoon rack. The story about your parents is a very special one.

    ReplyDelete

All of your comments are read and much appreciated.
You are dear and lovely friends!