Tuesday 4 October 2011

Lost and Found

  Many of you know that the last few weeks I have been busy de-cluttering. In fact I think I'm going to need to come up with a different word when referring to this because I'm getting almost as sick of seeing the word in print as I am of actually doing the job! Anyway, the good part of the whole process is that I'm finding all kinds of stuff I had lost (more mis-placed). This wool wall hanging is one of them.

This is a Sue Spargo pattern. The neat thing about this project is that you have so many options to choose from. There are a lot of different patterns and embellishments, colors, and fabric choices.
I personally love working with wool. It's sturdiness makes it so easy to handle while working it on
your lap and watching the tube at the same time if you're inclined to do so.

All of the wool for this project is from used wool coats or blazers. Yes, I get all of it from Salvation Army or Value Village when they have their 50 percent off sales. I wash all of it in hot water and after it's dried, I rip the seams. I also do this with sweater fabric. I will show you what I've made with that material tomorrow. All in all, I have over a dozen totes of wool yet to work up. Now that I don't have the garage to store it in any longer my loft is looking more like a storage area-yuck!
                   I guess a solution for this would be to get busy and get it all done up!
              Here was last nights sunset just as it was falling behind the islands treetops.
                     Hope your fall day is as lovely as it is here. Blessings-Kimberly

18 comments:

  1. Hooray for de-cluttering! No matter if the process seems to go on and on and on and on and....... -grin-

    Also hooray for your wish to get back to a simpler way of life. Yes! Yes! Yes! This modern way of life, which surrounds us, is way too fast and way too distracting.

    Guess my patron saint might be Tasha Tudor. :-) Although I'd never make it, in her way-back-to-simplicity-and-old-ways life style. But...... Just knowing that someone did it, once upon a time, is a kind of a ...... an incentive. :-)

    Gentle hugs,
    "Auntie"
    "Pix Muse" blog
    "October gave a party, the leaves by hundreds came -- The chestnuts, oaks, and maples -- Their costumes all aflame. Miss Weather led the dancing, Professor Wind the band, the guests were all aflutter, and danced off hand in hand." ~~after George Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an ispiration in the de-cluttering realm that I need to visit..ugh. Who knows what I'll find when I dig in to 'the room'. - Looking forward to seeing what you have to show us next, I have always been interested in the felted wool projects. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not just use the word simplifying? it sounds better than de-cluttering. That word always sounds like everything is messy. If it's like my house it's not messy it is just full. I'm working at simplifying too. I've filled 4 big boxes for donations and I know there will be more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wool wall hangings! I would love to see more of what you do with the wool...and sweaters! I have always been tempted to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy working with wool too.
    I love your blocks. I really like your picture of them hanging on the line. The colors are so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess your de-cluttering has brought up some beautiful treasures hidden away! They are so colourful! I just love them. I didn't know you did this sort of handwork. Do you make purses from sweaters? I saw a lot of different things made from old sweaters at a craft show last weekend. It's a great way to recycle. What a gorgeous sunset! We've had rain for 4 days and 1 more to go. :( Hoping for a sunny weekend. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wool wall hangings are really pretty. You are very talented with your crafts.

    Lovely sunset. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one of the perks of decluttering. All of the treasures hidden away and forgotten. Your wall hangings are really colorful and pretty. Now I need to get back to the decluttering I started and quit on (I'm such a quitter!) and see what I can find.
    My grandmother once took a wool coat of mine and cut it into squares and pieced them together with yarn and I remember a fringe around the edge. It turned out beautiful and made a nice throw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Goodness are you talented or what!

    Those are beauties and I love what they once were :-)

    Beautiful sunset photo too....

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Goodness are you talented or what!

    Those are beauties and I love what they once were :-)

    Beautiful sunset photo too....

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Sue Spargo pieces are so fun!! Baukje (Of Busy Bee Free) recently took a class from her and had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kimberly- I love those Spargo pieces. I have never seen anything quite like them. I love the bold, graphic quality they have. What a gorgeous sunset! xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those wool pieces and I can't believe they are all made from thrifted treasures! They are just gorgeous! Glad you found them. Keep up the decluttering fight! It will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! What a treasure you have discovered! :o) I love all of your blocks. :o) You do such beautiful work.
    Have a nice day.
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you...I should do another round of decluttering but not really in the mood...it is more a nesting time for me...Ha!

    Those quilt squares are adorable! What are you planning to make?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are finding so many great treasures. I like that you share with us. These are really beautiful...oh the colors!

    And the sunset isn't bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely idea to recycle the wool cloth this way. I know a blogger who makes cloth bags and then adds decorative appliques to them made from recylced wool. She is also very talented. The sunset photo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

All of your comments are read and much appreciated.
You are dear and lovely friends!