Thursday 16 August 2012

Mushroom Hunting in the Rain

 
Last week we meet Tim's sister and mother in
Skagway to visit Elijah and Laura. They prepared
us a fabulous meal of the reddest Sockeye Salmon
I have ever seen, just caught the day before. Laura
baked homemade bagels, which we topped with her homemade guacamole. And a fresh salad that we
went and collected from a plot they have at the community garden. And, I almost forgot, fried  potato with wild mushrooms. 
No, I'm not making this up!
Now you know why I said it was 'fabulous'.
This is the wild mushroom that was chopped and fried with our potatoes. After we had eaten Laura
wanted to go back to the forest in Dyea to find another one-and she did. I would be scared to death
to try anything other than store-bought mushroom or morels, since I grew up eat ting them.
But Laura has schooling in horticulture and dives
right into the local culture to discover what wild
edibles there are in the region.
I'm afraid my mind takes a trip down memory lane
to that old Eastwood movie, "The Beguiled"
If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking  about!
If you haven't, rent it.
The drive between Skagway and Carcross is my
most favorite. You feel at times that you have entered into another world. You do truly have to
be there to get the full impact-pictures just don't
do it justice, for sure.
This is a photo of 'Bove Island'. It is on Tagish Lake.

This is a panoramic I did of Tagish Lake and the
mountains. I has been cloudy here a lot this summer, but it is still beautiful.
These flowers were growing out of the side of
the mountain rock at an elevation of 3292!
So amazing.
****************************************
I hope you enjoyed seeing the Yukon through
my eyes this summer. It is a mystical land
to visit. But I'm so looking forward to getting
back to my very own 'Githee Gumee'.






23 comments:

  1. Wow, it really is an amazing and beautiful place. So much to see there. Great pictures, Kimberly. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scenery. I'd be taking photo after photo. I know you have enjoyed your time there but I can tell you can't wait to get home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kimberly, oh my stars!!!!! so so breathtaking, those mountains and lakes, simply beautiful. Those flowers growing up the mountain so high up is amazing,wow. Thanks so much for sharing your trip, enjoyed very much. Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scenery! I'm not much for mushrooms. Maybe it is because I saw "The Beguiled" at an young, impressionable age. Love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberly,

    Beautiful!
    I wish I was there right now.
    I remember as a kid residing up in the UP we would always go out mushroom hunting. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. So how did you handle the eating of wild mushrooms? Did you try the dish trusting your daughter-in-law? =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful, but there is n place like home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely pictures and so are the mushrooms. You are so blessed.
    It does seem like a magical land through your camera lens.
    Things you have shared are things I maybe will never see in this life.
    It has been really interesting. So glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I have enjoyed seeing this area through your eyes... Your photos are fabulous... Hope I get to visit there someday...

    Thanks, Kimerly, for sharing... You will have lots of memories forever...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum! We gather morels here each April - they are so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pictures today are truely breathtaking! Thanks for sharing. I hope to be able to see that part of the country some day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, what wonderful pictures you got on the drive "down the hill" to Skagway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kimberly, long time no see. I have enjoyed these last posts with the gorgeous scenery. It really is beautiful there. Take care! Blessings, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful.. So nice to visit with you Kim ...
    God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such beautiful scenery and I'm so glad to get to see it through your photos! Thanks for sharing! I can tell you are anxious to get home. There is just no place like home, you know. Hope you get to go soon! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those pictures are stunning. I can only imagine what it must be like to be there in person.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you when it comes to mushrooms...I don't always trust the ones I buy at the store!! That's just me!!
    How exciting though...to go out into the woods and gather your own mushrooms.
    Oh my...the country is absolutely gorgeous...I think I could stay there!
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  19. You photo don't give the impact-or - justice - I think they do -- makes me want to take a trip there..indeed!
    Beautiful - beautiful.. glad your back posting.. missed ya!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, what scenery! Does anyone live on that island? That would be fun...an island all to yourself!
    The dinner sounded fabulous and what a talented daughter-in-law you have! Elijah is so cute too. You've had a great Summer except for all the hard work! Welcome Home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very beautiful photos! I would love to see that lake with the island in it, so very beautiful!!!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is nothing like it...the pristine clear lakes, mountains, sky...it is all so beautifully untouched! Loved hearing about your lovely son and daughter in law...glad she is adventurous!

    I know you miss home but what a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Look for a place where there's plenty of moisture on the ground and in the air, Kim. My advice to you is to go out one to three days after it rains, because if you go out too soon, mushrooms may have not developed properly, you know. :)

    Mack Shepperson

    ReplyDelete

All of your comments are read and much appreciated.
You are dear and lovely friends!