Sunday 18 September 2011

The Church's One Foundation


 
    Samuel J. Stone                         The Church's One Foundation                       Samuel S. Wesley

The Church's one foundation Is Jesus Christ her Lord;
She is His new creation By water and the word:
From heav'n He came and sought her To be His Holy bride; With
His own blood He bought her, And for her life He died.

Elect from ev-'ry nation, Yet one o'er all the earth,
Her char-ter of salvation, One Lord, one faith, one birth;
One holy name she blesses, Partakes one holy food, And
to one hope she presses, With ev-'ry grace endued.

'Mid toil and tribulation, And tumult of her war,
She waits the consummation Of peace for evermore;
Till, with the vision glorious, Her longing eyes are blest, And
the great church victorious Shall be the church at rest.

Yet she on earth hath union With God the Three in One,
And mystic sweet communion With those whose rest is won:
O happy ones and holy! Lord, give us grace that we, Like
them, the meek and lowly, On high may dwell with Thee. A-Men.

Photo: Our Little Church

10 comments:

  1. How lovely, I so wish that our little church sang more of the wonderful old hymns. Your little church is precious...do they still ring the bell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your title....I began to hum the tune.....so sweet....thanks for posting this ....Mel's Designs from the Cabin....Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this hymn, and will hum it off and on all day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A well-loved hymn! Thanks for sharing a picture of your "perfect" little church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! I grew up attending a very small church that looked much like that one. Happy Sunday to you, Kimberly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. Hope you had a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful old hymn and a dear little country church. Lovely post. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can hear that music playing in my head as I read those words. There aren't many "new" churches that play the old hymms anymore. I learned to play the piano by playing The Old Rugged Cross- my father's favorite hymn. Love that sweet church image too- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the church!! I have one out my dinning window up on a little hill. White with red double doors :-) When these homes were being built it was the reason I chose our lot!
    Lucky it's your home!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

All of your comments are read and much appreciated.
You are dear and lovely friends!